Saturday, December 8, 2012

Paper stuff


I crumpled a thin piece of paper into many random folds, shut my eyes and felt along ridges of the paper and pinched them tight to make sharp creases. I tried to follow one contour of creases across the paper with my eyes shut.  This felt as though I was making creases in a straight line, but when I looked at what had happened, the line wandered all over the sheet.
With so many little facets of paper created by crumpling, the creases appear to curve as they make many small changes in direction. The crumpling process allows the paper to be dented, twisted and bent around very easily compared to symmetrical, labor intensive origami folding.
I ironed the paper to reduce creases that were not used and make the ridges easier to see. The closer the iron got to the main crease, the flatter and straighter the crease became. The less complex and deformed the paper became, the less curved the crease could be. It would not be possible to keep the crease curved if the rest of the paper was totally flat.


Ironed


Not ironed

Creased tissue paper, not ironed
Another view of creased sheet from previous post
Changing direction of paper with straight creases
Using Paper Surfaces

No comments:

Post a Comment