Sunday, September 30, 2012

Circle circle circle counter (code/translate)

My words were "code/translation".  I gave myself five minutes while doing the dishes to imagine erasing my memory of my former practice making.  Brain erasure complete, I decided to wander around my apt, looking for the first thing I could interact with as a code.  The first thing I found was a deck of cards that I made to help create sense-based choreography.  Unfortunately, this is an object that really triggered old habits.  Bummer.  I tried my best to resist. 

So, this deck of cards: basically, each card signifies a different sense or to examine through movement and sound.  This is explained on the back of each card in words, and represented on the front by a symbol. That was the information I had to go on.  I shuffled the cards and then drew four, one right after another, to make a phrase, and then used the chair to try them out.  The cards I got were: circle/circle/circle/counter".  The circle cards ask you to explore this shape internally and externally, using bodies and objects and sounds.  The counter card (represented by the squiggle) means to do the opposite of your first impulse.  The video shows me exploring this pattern/code on the chair and my own body.

Since this is something I use a lot in rehearsals, the forgetting aspect became more crucial/even more difficult.  Interestingly, it was a process of me trying to decipher code and translate in multiple ways: my ideas to the chair to the viewer as well as my own handwriting to myself in my state of voluntary and semi-successful amnesia.  There are moments where you can see me struggle with my initial impulse and then reconfigure into a state of "forgetting."  If nothing else, that moment is really interesting to me. 

The unfamiliar object of the chair was incredible helpful in trying to forget in order to discover.  
So.  Yes.  Ok. 

No comments:

Post a Comment