Saturday, September 29, 2012


The Experiment; Trying not to be Aware, and Un-know

I saw this experiment as an opportunity to get away from myself, from my over-controlling, analytical and logical habits which are comforting, and yet stifling.
I thought it would be easy to escape from myself.

To start with, I made a graph of the verbs on a rectangular piece of paper and being a bad shot, kept missing it all together. I placed it flat on the floor instead, and jumped on it. I wanted to get a completely random result, so I tried shutting my eyes and rotating and flipping the paper and putting my finger on a point between the axes, but I found that I was counting the rotations and flips, my finger tip was too big, and I had a pretty good idea of the region I wanted to land in, so I felt I was influencing the outcome too much. 
I re-drew the graph on a circular piece of paper and spun it with my eyes shut so that I could not tell which way the graph finally oriented. I decided that I would use the 2nd of three results, but making three stabs at the paper was too tempting. I had to look and decide whether I liked the outcome or not and made about six.

Drawing straight lines from the point I pinned to the axes seemed to give the same results in several pinnings. I used a compass to draw an arc passing through the point and intersecting with each axis. This led to thinking about where the center of the arc should be placed, or whether to use a randomly wiggly line to link to the axes, or distort the axes, so that no possible influence by me could occur. “I” was surprisingly hard to get rid of in this process.

The process words were organized by the degree of freedom they could give, from archaic-izing to freeing on the x axis. The “Thing” words were also organized by how finite and restricting they are, from “limit” at the origin to “progress” at the far end.
I obtained the same instructions stated slightly differently in several instancies: alter method, allow progress, and spreading desire. “Alter method” seemed especially important in a omniscient sort of way. I became very curious about finding more interesting instructions but stuck to my plan of using the second set of words I obtained.

I made a series of short movies that explore the effect of detergent pushing food coloring around on the surface of milk. I used full-fat milk, almost sour, which changed the blue coloring to indigo, hot and cold water diluting the milk, floating gold pigment on the surface of the milk, different types of dish soap, adding red vinegar to the mix, and large and small containers for the milk. A small container trapped the spreading film and the color could not move, whereas a larger one allowed movement to occur for several minutes. Temperature also affected the mixing: warm milk caused movement up and down in the solution and cold caused the warmer droplets to stay on the top. Less fat allowed a more free-flowing movement, and Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Soap was more effective as a color pusher than blue Dawn.


World of Milk     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeuMOMt94Nw&feature=plcp






No comments:

Post a Comment