Sunday, September 30, 2012

For my graph project, I crossed narrative on my x-axis (thing) and remember on my y-axis (verb).  I tried to forget my usual medium, which would have been either recreating something with textures, moods and a narrative, using a layering process, or I would have painted something in oils or acryclics.  The subjects of the digital piece would likely have been a house, church (where there are a lot of records) or perhaps some sort of state building in ruin or set into a beaucolic background.  Whether painted or printed, the object would be given either on canvas or on photographic paper with all that that entails.

For this project, I used none of those processes, and instead I tried to narrate a memory to someone without using any of my old methods or processes.  I tried to think about what exactly a memory is, what types of things, tangental and otherwise preserve and / or convey  a memory.  I tried to think of narratives and how they're usually created or past along: oral tradition, song, poem, verse, writings, diaries, books, plays, movies and all other manner of handicraft work inlcuding quilting and needlepoint. 

 So my final piece is a paper mache book assemblage piece that I created to look worn, old, and handled.  I chose the book for the metaphorical inference for a storage system, relating and communicating a recorded memory.  I lined the book with old newspaper articles, because items and happenings of importance to our lives often came to us, before the internet, through the newspaper.  I felt the newspaper clippings gave the book a very old feel as well because I painted them with yellow, to show that they've aged, like memories and people do. 

I decided that one thing that holds alot of memories for people is the family home they grew up in and I also paired that with one of the strongest sensories center located closest to the part of the brain that processes memories (smell.)  On one cover of the book, I mounted a picture of a family homestead that I had created last year (it is a product of photoshop, but I didn't create it for this project, so by using it  in this project, the old process is not important to this piece.  I thought that the picture of a country homestead, that a home in and of itself is an import holder of memories.  Mothers bring home new babies, you grow up there, you eat there, are with your family there, celebrate life there, cry, laugh and sometimes die there.


Finally, I filled the book with old handwritten recipees, thinking that the handwriting, the memories associated with favorite meals shared with family would help to recall memories.  I also associated the recipees with recreating smells, in an effort to relate smells again to memory and narration.   So with this project, my new process was to communicate using things that are in the fields of my two words: memories and narration.  For example,  books often hold narratives, and in this case, they're serving to frame imagery as narration, and recipes are types of record or memories, and in this case they're serving to narrate memories of familiar smells, cooking, and the memory of shared meals.   Also, we don't think of recipes cards in terms of a pysically holding the  memory or the essense of the person, but if you touch something that someone else has touched, held or written on, then in that sense, through memory and along the time continuum, you are holding a part of that person by touching and holding what they have held.

No comments:

Post a Comment