Sunday, November 4, 2012

Fun with Semipermeable Membranes and Latent Musicality


The project I’ve created in response to my trigger is a semipermeable membrane that is problem solving in that it is at once: pliable, but rigid; aesthetic, but functional; light diffusing, but transparent; provides the coolness of shade, but allows the warmth of sunlight to pass through; serves as a partition, but allows interaction; separates as a wall, but allows for air flow so that life on either side can survive; allows for selectivity in permeability; makes music, but can be quiet, too.

A newly emerged quality or an unexpected quality from my project is discovered in that it makes musical sound when jiggled or rustled as the shards of china clink against each other between layers of netting.

My project’s field includes:  netting, shards, mesh, threads, wire, air flow, sunlight, tulle, china, flex, stand, permeate, flow, rigidness, flexibility, pliers, bending, twisting wire




With this assignment, my territory is establised as the act of creatively depicting memory as an existance of the various membranes ands surfaces I have worked with so far:  amber, rivers, water, sky, tree rings, contrails, footprints or tracks, cracks, china, tulle, and probably other surfaces I haven't thought of or considered yet.  I am anxious to see what else I can bring to the table in this regard, I haven't yet worked in a context as abstract as this and to me it is very interesting. 

I am wondering if Iain will let me consider sound waves as another membrane for memory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment