Sunday, October 28, 2012

bag time

I took a video while inside the bag with a camera that was held stationary.  I was interested in trying to capture the incredible wealth of sound that exists in a stationary location when you expand your "skin" outward and bring a foreign device between this skin and your former boundary of self.  This was hard: the recording doesn't show what I experienced, which was a soundscape of a huge landscape.  Watch the video here:

https://vimeo.com/52347170

In addition to this, I also tied a huge bag of frozen chicken around my hand, covered my head, and attempted to feel around with that.  There is great potential here, I think: the shape of the world changes when you are experiencing it with a different extremity.  I wanted to explore this further, but I ran out of time before class.  

The recording/mapping of the shrunken body is harder than imagined.  What are ways this could be changed?  How to eliminate the rest of the body? How to isolate different parts of the body?  How to shrink the whole body simultaneously?  The constant locating of being able to touch your body/feel distances between different parts of yourself feels like a roadblock here. 


New potential emergent qualities: 

The potential for the experience of huge spaces to exist in small spaces. 

The potential for multiple skins that being to feel viscerally connected to your experience of self.  

The potential for the shape of the world to change radically based on changing the shape/weight of your appendages.  



No comments:

Post a Comment