Sunday, October 28, 2012

Things I did since Wednesday

As far as ferments go...

  1. I stomped a barrel of apples I had sitting around the studio with my feet. It stained my toes.
  2. I hand-pressed (with my fingers, I mean) a couple barrels of moldy apples. One of the barrels I combined with the leftover mash from a previous ferment. The mash smells moldy but will hopefully ferment instead of mold further.
  3. I made a mouth cider using dogwood tree fruit and crabapples. I had to combine the two fruits because dogwood gave me cottonmouth while crabapples made me drool. The mash blew the top off the first jar so I split it in two and today the tops blew off again. I was drinking beer before I chewed, so maybe I got some desirable yeast in the culture.
  4. As far as other ferments go, I inherited a SCOBI mother and made a 4 gallon tank.
  5. I also received a sourdough culture from 1981, so I'm going to be doing some baking as well.
  6. I tried isolating the yeast from my toes by doing smears on agar plates, but I think that might only grow bacteria. I have to do research on this, but will be trying to find ways to grow only the yeast or a symbiosis of bacteria+yeast.

No comments:

Post a Comment