Sunday, October 28, 2012

Breaking two

To further explore the properties of glass, gravel and rocks I thought of a few similar trials.
The primary theme with these three is to use a flat sheet of glass instead of the bulbous form of a goblet.    One possibility is to use lay the glass flat and rub the gravel across its surface repeatedly. For some time now I have imagined it might be a good meditative exercise to polish a large flat stone. This does not deal with the resonant qualities of the glass that I liked so much from my first trial. To affect resonance I could use a similar assemblage with a horizontal plane of glass and gravel; these would in this case be driven by a speaker at varying frequencies. 

The final assemblage idea I had was more similar to my first trial. In this permutation a piece of plate glass is leaned agains the wall and gravel and water are dumped onto its surface near the top and allowed to roll down the surface into a catching bucket.
After all rocks have reached the bottom, the upper bucket is filled with the contents of the lower and the process is repeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment